What is a party wall?
08 Nov 2019

Having achieved planning permission for an extension to a unique semi detached period house the neighbours of our clients requested a meeting with us to discuss the potential to build an extension using a 'common' party wall. This is a wall which is usually built with the boundary line between properties along its centre line. A 'Party Wall agreement' has to be entered into by both parties but it is a good way for neighbours to gain some space in their extension rather than having two walls either side of the boundary. If one builder is chosen to construct both extensions there will be an economy of scale and thus reduce the build costs for both neighbours.